Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another Side Dish I Love

I am having a lot of fun with side dishes lately so I decided to give you another one to try. I love beans but never knew how to cook them as their own dish. I always put them in other dishes...but a dish on their own? I gave this recipe a try and loved it. It is called Easy Black Beans. You will need the following:

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons ancho, chile or pasilla peppers (or you can simply add black pepper to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
30 ounces black beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add ground pepper, cumin, oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add beans, 1 cup of water and tomato paste; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.

To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.

This recipe makes 8 servings and has 10g of protein and 10g of fiber per serving! This recipe takes approximately 16 minutes to make. Try it, I know you'll love it as much as I do.